THE EPISTLE OF JAMES

 

Note:  There are mainly two James in the Bible, which one is not clear in this epistle. First James was the disciple of Jesus (The son of Zebedee and Salome; an elder brother of John the apostle -  who was an early martyr (Act 12:1,2) – Herod killed James to please Jews – Around A.D 45

Second James is the half brothers of Jesus – James and John -  (In Math 13:55 AND Mark 6:3, again in Gal 1:19 and Jude 1:1).  Because after the firstborn was over – Through Joseph, Mary surely conceived and had somemore children –

As he was ministering till A.D 65 and also the brother of Jude who wrote the next epistle – we can understand that it is this James who wrote this epistle. And as he was the brother of Jesus – he might have been easily accepted by the churches

 

From James 2:17 & 20 – we get it clear that FAITH should be balanced with the WORKS of faith. As this verse is there in the bible – there is no way of a confusion – otherwise people would have misunderstood Paul’s statement that – It is not by works, only by faith.

Lot of deep mysteries written in this epistle –

 

Chapter-1

Verse 1 – Eventhough he was born of Mary and Joseph, he humbly addresses himself as a Bond – servant (like an obedient servant to fulfill all what the master says – without any rest) – Let us submit ourselves as a doulos.

(Jesus says – who is my brother and sister – those who obey my words are my brethren.)

 

>> Lots and lots of believers(Jews) from Jerusalem – were scattered and had to move to other cities and countries – because of the great tribulation the church and believers in Jerusalem had to go through – that why written here – to the 12 tribes.

 

Verse 2 – That is why in the following verses – through the Holy spirit – James is comforting and strengthening them.

>> As they were in Jerusalem and worshipping the Lord, persecution grew, when they were scattered all over Asia and Europe, they sufferings again grew, as the evil forces of different places started attacking them so that they be discouraged and stop witnessing about Jesus. That is why James wrote this epistle to clear their doubt, its not because Lord has forgotten them, but He has allowed this in our life so that we become strong and fully trusting in the Lord.

 

>> So from this verse we understand a mystery that there is joy when we fall into trials ---

>> Rev 2:3 – to the church at Ephesus – you suffered for my names sake and have not become tired.

>> 1 Peter 1:6, 7 - In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials,

that the genuineness of your faith ...is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the coming of Jesus Christ

>> 2 Timothy 2 – if we suffer – we shall reign

>> Rom 8 – if we suffer, we will be joint heirs

>> Ps 119:67, 71 - Before I was afflicted I went astray,     But now I keep Your word.

It is good for me that I have been afflicted,    That I may learn Your statutes.

>> 2 Cor 4:17 - For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory,

Also verse 8-10- (We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed) (we are perplexed, but not in despair) (persecuted, but not forsaken) (struck down, but not destroyed)

always carrying about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body.

>> 2 Cor 8:2 – About the churches of Macedonia – In this great trial of affliction – they had abundance of joy.

>> The MYSTERY is - 2 Cor 12:10 - Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong

 

Verse 3 – testings – Ps 66:10-12 – Lord you have tested me –

>> Zech 13:9 - I will bring the one-third through the fire, Will refine them as silver is refined, And test them as gold is tested.

>> Ish 48:10 - Behold, I have refined you, but not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction.

>> Rom 5:3-5 - And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance(patience)…. hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us

 

Verse 4 – Through patience we get hope – without growing in heavenly hope – we will be worldly and finally un-faithful.

Eph 5:27 – that Jesus might present us holy and without spot, without wrinkle and blameless  - and we should be so at the coming of Lord Jesus Christ – then only you will be taken above

 

These days we see a lot of belivers who are not stable(without patience), they say amen for everything, they have fellowship and friendship with everything, they join all the gang. Here Lord says – all the trials are to make us come out of this unstable life (keep on changing decisions) and make us patient and meek.

Math 5:5 - Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth

 

Verse 5 – this wisdom is not what you receive from the world – it is a wisdom from above – James 3:14-17 – difference between worldly wisdom and heavenly)

>> That is why people with worldly wisdom becomes a failure in their life.

 

Verse 6 – if your faith is doubting you will receive nothing from God

>>Waves of the sea – sometimes it is high, sometimes low, sometimes it is not  there at all – your faith and your relationship with your master is like this.

**Sometimes you say YES to your master, sometimes you don’t bother to hear what the Lord says. Sometimes strong – sometimes sinking in sin.

>> Satan wants to make you unstable like the waves of the sea, but we are going to patiently wait upon the Lord –

 

Ps 37:7 –  Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for Him; Do not fret (be down) because of him who prospers in his way, ​​Because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass.  - (others might prosper because of their evil schemes

>> The difference is proved in this world and in the world to come – verses 9, 11, 13, 18 & 19.

 

Ish 40:31 - But those who wait on the LORD Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.  - (shall become stronger and stronger in the Lord)

 

Let your faith be for the glory and the work of the Lord, not for your own matters

As in James 4:3 – if you ask for your selfishness and pleasures in the world you will receive nothing from Lord,

So from the day a person becomes in Christ – he is a new creature, all the old has passed away. So from then on your vision and desire should be heavenly, sometimes we wont understand that’s why Lord sends us through furnace.

 

Verse 7 – God does not want unstable people – God does not want a relation with them.

 

Verse 8 – We give our problems to the Lord, and then take it back, and do it our way. Sometimes spiritually strong, when we are in meetings. When we are with the world, we are with them.

>> Understand the truth that your plans will never work with Gods plans, so the only option is to surrender yourself to him and as Samuel said – Here is you servant Lord - you speak – I will hear.

>> Ps 62:3 – the world is coming to finish me off…….and I am -  Like a leaning wall and a tottering fence.

 

Verse 9 – Nothing to glory in because it is all His, i am just the

Keeper of His things.

>> My praise and my glory is in the LORD,

Ps 3:3 – But You, O LORD, are a shield for me, My glory and the One who lifts up my head.

>> If there is anything that I have to boast is nothing but the cross of Jesus – Gal 6:14.

 

>> Lord says those who don’t have – when you get something – don’t be proud – at the same time to the rich people – when you get more riches be more humble because –

1 Peter 5:5,6 - God resists the proud,  But gives grace to the humble.”

Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time,

 

Verse 10 – The more rich you are – the more humble you should be. This is against the law of the world and our body.

>> But the truth is the riches of this world wont last – As it is now controlled by the Prince of this world (satan), it wont last, he will show us many things, make us addicted to it and suddenly take away, so always understand that the riches of this world is like the grass.

If we know this truth, then we will only put that much mind on it, not much expectations because it wont last.

 

>> If the Lord has given us more riches, never ever forget that it is not all for us. We have to use it according to the guidance of the Holy spirit for the glory of Jesus. If we dont, Lord will take it away 1Samuel 2:7 – the Lord makes rich and poor

>> We know from the parable – to him whom master gave 5 talents, he presented 5 more, to the 2, two more – we should not be found as lazy and wicked servant who had a talent but did not do anything for the master – he surely did for his family and eating and shelter, but nothing for the master, he was thrown out to eternal darkness.

 

Verse 11 –Lord shows an example here, similarly a man trusting in his riches and all efforts will be tired and fade away (be finished).

Not by our might or effort or running, but by the mercy of God –

Rom 9:16 – So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy.

 

Verse 12 – Blessed is the man who endures temptation (testings) Amplified version and greek– trial)

It is a test – who will pass – If you pass – crown of life – as Paul says in 2 Tim 4:8 (I have my race and fought the battle – now crown of life for me (otherwise not)

>> James 5:10,11 – Examples of those anointed children of God who suffered and won.

>> Rom 8:18 - For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

>> Also in verses 2 and 3 – the reason of

 

 

Verse 13 – Here its is tempting or tempted.

>> God does not tempt anyone (greek also – tempt),

In Malayalam it is test, so some people teach that testings are by satan and God does not allow us to go through furnace – which is wrong – that’s a translation mistake.

>> In Math 4:1 – also we see Satan tempts Jesus but lost. (also verse 3)

>> IN Job 1:16 – We see it is God himself who put fire down from heaven to test Job

>> Also read  Psalms 66:10-12 – How the Psalmist was tested by God

 

** SO GOD TESTS and SATAN TEMPTS – that’s what you need to understand properly.

 

>> So this verse means that God does not tempt anyone because there is no sin in God –

John 14:30 – the prince of this world (satan) come, he has nothing (of his) in me.

>> So sin does not come into your life by God, God never drags or tempts anyone by sin, its because of your desire to enjoy sin.

 

Verse 14 – You are responsible for your sins, satan drags you to sin because you wanted it – you were longing for it.

>> Even in the case of first sin – Eve saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate(Gen 3:6).

In all cases - there is your own desire behind it.

>> 1John 2:16 - For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world.

 

>> Many children of God and servants of God in the Bible first fell for sin and their desires, but when the spirit of the Lord worked in their life, they corrected their paths.

We serve a Lord who has no compromise with His word and our life, so there is no option but I have to change – (maybe not al together at once – but as the spirit guides us into more holiness)

>> Its like a race….. if you are not running now or moving forward and when the lap time is over – you cant run all the laps together and make it to the finishing point, so all your efforts till now will be wasted – so keep on running forward, please don’t go back.

 

>> Gen 4:6,7 – Look what happened to the life of Cain

Again repeated in Jude verse 7

 

Verse 15 – desire (covetousness) – brings birth to sin – then death (spiritual) (the same death which God told Adam and Eve)

>> If we pamper our desires – then you are a sinner – throw your desires out.

(it conceives – only when two parties unite – they conceive- here satan and me)

>> Sin fully grows to Death, so have a U turn immediately – that moment itself when the spirit speaks to you.

 

Verse 16 – Do not be deceived (as said in verse 13) – God or satan – who brought this testings or satan –

>> When God allows us to go through fire and furnace to re-mould us to the image of the Son, to make us worthy for the kingdom of God.

Satan tells them that it is by satan – so people start fearing satan. Try to compromise with him. Someone has done something against me – maybe neighbor (one of main ten commandments- love your neighbor as yourself), maybe colleague – so its not your fault and you don’t need to change, continue as you are –DON’T BE DECIEVED BY SATAN

 

Verse 17 – Every good and perfect gift comes from above (the Father of lights) – every bad gift which spoils our relationship with God comes from Satan.

>> Whatever God gives us – blessing or trials (in Jobs case – fire from above, all of it makes our spiritual man grow).

Whatever satan gives – worldly blessing or sometimes tries to make us ashamed, in mental agony and confusion – it all makes us weak and backsliding.

>> So we need to discern – which is the gift from above.

 

Verse 18 – According to his special purpose he made be born again by the word of truth, now building us up in the Holy spirit – for His glory. Let us not try to change the plan of God.

>> He has a perfect plan and calling for everyone – Lord will not allow anyone to change His heavenly plan for us. Let us not try to do that.

>> In this world also – we are called to be His firstfruits, In resurrection also first deliverance for His bridegroom, then only the jews.

 

Verse 19 – As we grow spiritually – we become pious and patient – then only can we see the glory and work of the Lord in our life. If we jump and talk or act, we make it a mess.

>> Here it is written to beloved brethren –

Hear more time (surely the word of God) and slow to speak. What jumps out of our mouth is recorded in heaven and for it will be get judgment.

** So once we are in the Lord – we should take more time for hearing and understanding the word of God and when you speak - it should be glorifying the Lord – speaking in the spirit.

** Spend more time to listen – maybe that’s why God has given us 2 ears and only one tongue.

**Also slow to anger – don’t be angry too much – because we have got to wash all these filth away before the sunsets.

 

Verse 20 – Because of your wrath – you make it a mess - it is always a hindrance for the work of God.

 

Verse 21 – As we are made blameless by the spirit of God. All what binds us to grow in the Lord – is filth (of this world).

>> Now a days we say – Gain more in the name of Jesus – Lord has not given you the authority of God for that – it is to throw out the filth and over-show of the devil– Have the boldness for that.

 

>> Throw the worldly out (filth and overflow of wickedness) and in that space – fill it with the everlasting implanted word of God(by the Lord).

This word of God will save your soul – 1:Peter 1:23 -25 – Everything else you see and you have now will melt like wax – only the word of God abides forever.

 

Verse 22 – Be doers of the counsel of God, Lord does not want any other talking or show (tears or fasting or work)- He wants us to work out His counsel or will in our life – that’s all.

>> Rom 2:13 - for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified;

Doers – that’s what Lord is looking for.

Morning to evening – we are doing our work without fail – but what about God. That we always give Lord hope with our false decisions and promises.

 

>> Math 21:28-31 - A man who had two sons. He went to the first and said, ‘Son, go and work today in the vineyard.’

‘I will not,’ he answered, but later he changed his mind and went.

“Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. He answered - ‘I will, sir,’ but he did not go.

“Which of the two did what his father wanted?” - “The first,” they answered.

 

>> Like in verse 16 – Don’t deceive yourself (satan will come to) with any other counsel other than the Lord’s – People deceive themselves by their own excuses

Col 2:4 – Don’t let any man deceive yourselves with enticing words

John 3:36 - Those who don't obey the Son will never experience eternal life, but the wrath of God remains upon them." (NIV and greek)

 

Verses 23 - 25 – When you look into the worldly mirror – you see only yourself(your matters), But here Lord is speaking about mirror as the word of God – compare yourself and transform yourself according to the word of God as the Holy spirit of God deals with you.

>> If you change yourself and do Lord’s will (instead of your plan) – you are really blessed by God.

>> But with great pain – the spirit of God is telling – people hear all bible classes – know where they need a change – but going away fast and working out their own plans, immediately forgetting what the Lord spoke to Him.

(You are purposely forgetting – because – if you change – the world might not accept you or you have may desires hidden in your heart which you want to work out – you think you know how to be blessed but the spirit of the Lord says – you are cursed

>> Today people are not looking at the verses where it tells you to change your ways but only reading and meditating that part of the verses where it says that you will be comfortable in your life and you will get all what you desire.

Jonah was sleeping at the bottom deck of the ship very comfortable without obeying the voice of the Lord – My Lord made the people called him up – shout at him – threw him out of the ship – then a whale swallowed him – in gastric acids for 3 whole days – finally vomited him to the same island where he didn’t want to go. That’s my God – either he will try mending and transforming you as an instrument useful for him – otherwise in John 15 Jesus says – if you are fruitful he will cut you and throw you into fire.

>> Who is blessed – those who look into the perfect law of liberty –

** Look into – greek – “parakupto” – to stop, bend over for a better look

the word of God which sets you free from the cords of hell.

>> Again in John – Jesus says – If you love me you will keep my commandments.

>> In 1 John 5:3 – His commandments are not burdensome.

 

Verse 26 – If any one of you think you are holy but can’t control your tongue, your holiness is fake, its just a show, Lord will not accept you.

 

Verse 27 – A real Holy person will always be separated from the world (they always have their limits which is set not by the church but by the spirit of God)

>> And they will always have compassion on the needy and will be helping others without selfishness and expecting a return or benefit.

 

 

Chapter-2

 

In this chapter we see that both poverty and riches – both are trouble or very much harmful for our relationship with God.

That why through the spirit the writer told in Prov 30 :8 & 9 – Lord – Do not give me poverty or riches, but feed me with the food allotted to me.

 

Verses 1 – 4 – We unknowingly show partiality by caring and respecting the rich and not giving the same importance to the poor. By it we are being against God’s laws – Those who believe in Jesus should not show partiality

Gal 3:28 - There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.(all these differences we have but not with God)

1 Cor 12:13 - For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.

>> This is the policy of God – so Lord will not tolerate when we show any partiality because God will not show any partiality (Rom 2:11,  Acts 10:34)

>> Lord has never shown partiality to any one – he loves only those who wholeheartedly love him and obey the voice of God  - Math 12:50(also in Mark and Luke) - For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother.”

 

 

Verse 5 – Lord has come to preach the gospel to the needy – Ish 61:1 & Luke 4:18( Jesus reads this part of Ish in the synagogue) “The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon Me, Because the LORD has anointed Me To preach good tidings to the poor;

That is the reason our Lord Jesus – was

Ψ Born into a poor family

Ψ In His birth He was born on the roadside and was laid down in a borrowed manger

Ψ To feed the hungry multitude Jesus borrowed 5 loafs and 2 fish from a boy

Ψ He preached standing in a borrowed boat

Ψ To prove a truth he borrowed a coin, to pay the tax again he took it from a fish

Ψ He borrowed a donkey to travel to Jerusalem

Ψ He borrowed a room to have the Passover dinner together

Ψ He was buried in the tomb which he had borrowed from Aramathea Joseph

 

>> The rich is always full and satisfied, they didn’t need to accept the word of God or to fear Him or to humble themselves in the presence of God.

The rich think that they are strong and able, they can do everything with their resources – but God tells them – Rev 3:17 – 21 – you are wretched, miserable poor blind and naked – in the sight of God (In Philippians it says – your end is destruction).

>> Mark 2:17 – (also in Math and Luke) – Jesus said - “Those who are well have no need of a physician(doctor), but those who are sick. I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance

 

 

Luke 9:58 (also in Mathew) - And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head

2 Cor 8:9 - …..that though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that you through His poverty might become rich.

 

We know that Apostle James has strongly opposed the rich and worldly minded in James 5:1-5(the rich condemn the just and true) and again in Ps 62:10 – If riches increase set not your mind on them.

>> That’s why Jesus says in Mathew – Invest not in this world but let your investments be in heaven (Because where your investments are, your heart will also be upon it – It will be a very big hindrance for Jesus to dwell in your heart and your end will be destruction)

 

Verse 6 – You try to be with great of this world, but aren’t they who are always oppress you and make you ashamed, whenever you be with noble, finally don’t they make you small and make fun of you. They do it because they are arrogant, proud and have no principle.

>> But we cant be arrogant and proud and don’t try to be like them.

 

Those who try to be great, God will put you down

Those who humble themselves in the sight of the Lord, Lord will lift you up.

 

So no need to respect or bother about the rich class, respect and give importance to your master. Understand how great your God is and desire His goodness and greatness, And to praise and sing about His greatness.

 

Only those who transform themselves with the mind of Jesus can go to heaven, let our vision change, may the Lord open our inner eyes and make us see what he wants us to see and understand.

 

Verse 10 – You have to obey all the counsel of God, you stumble at one means – you are gone

but God will give you the grace and strength to lead a life without stumbling

>> In James 1:26 – If you think you are holy and not able to control your tongue, your holiness is useless.

 

Verse 14 – Here the spirit of the Lord says about a faith which is just a show.

 

Verse 15 & 16 – These works will be guided by the spirit of God – what we need to do is immediately obey.

>> It is not that we try to do some charity and be satisfied with it – as our works.

 

Guided by the spirit – means Lord will tell us what to do at different points of life and different times.

>> Sometimes Lord is dealing with a person ( Lord has closed all doors for him) so that he looks on the face of God and at that time you try to be smarter than God, then you are in direct competition with God. So its always wonderful  to be guided by the spirit.

Rev 3:7 - He who opens and no one shuts, and shuts and no one opens”

Verse 17 & 18 – All this should be done by the guidance of the spirit and by brotherly life –

Rom 8:9 - But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

 

>> In vers18 Apostle is challenging us – to show our works balanced with our faith

 

Verse 19 – You say you love God and fear God – even satan does that. A simple belief or knowledge in the word of God is nothing – even satan has more knowledge than us in the Bible.

 

Verse 20 – If Lord should accept you, you should have all the faith and all the works which the Lord wants us to have – otherwise a foolish man and waste.

>> Two examples we see in the following verses.

 

Verses 21 - 24 –

We see about Abraham –

It is written in verse22 – Abraham believed God – His faith was working together with his works and his Faith was made perfect –

Because He believed that my Lord is Almighty to give me back my son from the dead or ashes (Heb 11:19) – Blind faith in God – my Lord will not make me ashamed

 

Verse 25 – About Rahab – how she got justified – In Heb 11 – it says Rahab believed in God – So once she believed she was ready to take any risk (hiding spies – death penalty) for the victory of the name of God –

When we take such a decision – that’s when the spirit of God works in our life

 

In both these wonderful examples – Abraham was offering his son as sacrifice – Rahab was offering her life because if she was caught by her people – then death. So you cant work out faith without risk

>> Any disease – life or death – I will trust in the Lord

>> Like Shadrach, Meshek and Abednego – what ever government says – kings orders – even if life or death – I will obey God and trust in Him only

>> Paul says – Philip 1:20,21 - according to my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death.

For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

 

Many people like to believe in Jesus and love him after seeing the miracles. But God will only work for those people who believe that He is God Almighty and completely believe and trust in Him – there God will work – you will see the Glory of God and a miracle in your life – after you pass the testing (whether life or death) – and Lord name will be glorified.

 

Verse 26 – So our Faith should not be in works, but Faith + its Works –

What are the works of faith –

** Blind faith in God – my Lord will not make me ashamed – whatever trouble or problems he allows in my life is for His glory – for the world to know about a DELIVERER through my life.

**If it is disease or whatever case or problem

 

Just as a person without spirit is spiritually dead – a person’s faith without works is dead (Just like a body in the mortuary), just a show – that is no faith. These days lots of these kinds of dead bodies are there in churches.

 

 

Chapter-3

 

This chapter says about our talking and speaking. In a week – we speak thousands and thousands of words, if recorded we would be astonished by the figure.

 

It is a very accepted truth that – those who talk too much – is just like barking and there is no benefit for anyone. That talking time also if we try to utilize it for working – how much more productive we can be – our life will be a lot more meaningful. But at the same time talking is also needed – let it be only meaningful words.

>> That’s why in James 1:19 – we read lot of time to hear, and slow to speak (speak littile)

 

Verse 1 – Lots of teachers – but they don’t know what they are teaching – confusing people and totally misguiding them. That also happens through their tongue. Understand that for every word – we will be judged – so we cant teach from the word of God what we feel like – you should only teach what you have received from the Lord. You tongue should only utter words of grace which will bring a person more closer to Christ – not more closer to the world.

 

Verse 2 – We stumble in many things – the hardest part is controlling your tongue. If a man can control his/her tongues then they can surely control their whole mind and body.

>> It is the tongue which mainly differentiates us from animals – from dogs, cats, cows or even a parrot.

>> Our tongue helps proves to the whole world who we are.

>> See Peter’s words’s and way of speaking proved who he was -
Math 26:73 – those who stood there said to Peter, “Surely you also are one of them, for your speech betrays you.”

>> Now let the world – who hear you – friends and neighbours decide who you are.

 

Verse 3 – Here an example about how we control the whole horse and its movements by catching its reins.

>> In Ps 39:1 – David says, “I will guard my ways,   Lest I sin with my tongue; ​​I will restrain my mouth with a muzzle, ​​While the wicked are before me.”

(Because he know that he has to witness and sing to the Lord with this mouth.)

>> The reins maybe not so big or long but it is sufficient t stop the horse from its direction and turn it to the person will who sits in it and controls it.

 

Verse 4 – Another wonderful example – How big the ship is, it is steered by the captain with a small rudder, from the strong wind direction.

>> In Prov chapt 6 – God hates a lying tongue – (Again in Col, Ephesians and Revelation – Put away lying tongue, liars will be outside the gates of heaven(they will never enter heaven)           

 

Verses 5 & 6 – Tongue is like a big forest fire (spreads and no one can stop it or hold it, it burns the whole forest)

>> Fire is very essential, civilizations have started after man discovered fire, but this same fire if not controlled properly can destroy everything.

>> It is much dangerous than atom bomb.

Even this has harmed the church – and made it a war field or people into competition rather than forgiving and brotherly love is because of this tongue.

Even in the churches and among brethren – we unwontedly use this tongue to speak against an other person or blame someone.

 

>> Prov 12:18 - There is one who speaks like the piercings of a sword, But the tongue of the wise promotes health.

>> With the same tongue we can comfort and encourage other – correct others

>> Eph 4:29 - Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.

 

>> Look at the tongue of Peter – His tongue betrayed Jesus, and with the same tongue (after he was anointed by the Holy spirit) started to preach about Jesus, (In the first sermon itself – 3000 were baptized.

 

Verses 7 & 8 – Tongue is so hard to be tamed, more harder than taming wild animals. So with patience and lots of effort we have to tame it.

 

Verses 9 & 10 – This tongue is to praise the Lord and magnify His name, witness Him (that we hardly do). We use it to shout at others, blame others and talk worldly talking.

>> On Sunday mornings – it is used to praise God, other times – for world – Lord calls them – HYPOCRITES.]

>> In Luke 6:45 – Jesus said -A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart[g] brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.

>> See how it ruins your life – Prov 4:23,24 - Keep your heart with all diligence, For out of it spring the issues of life.

Put away from you a deceitful mouth, And put perverse lips far from you

 

As written in Rom chapt 10 – If you believe in your heart and confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord you get salvation.

Jesus aske every man – Do you want deliverance – when they confessed – Yes – then Jesus delivered them

>> But with the same mouth – when we start cursing and talking things which the Lord doesn’t want.

 

Verses 11& 12 – from the same fountain – both good and bad wont come. So lets maintain it for one – which is for the glory of God.

>> And talk less for the world – more work – talk less – we can be more productive. This talking is just to make others think that we are wise but it never works out – the more we talk it is our foolish heart that we reveal.

 

>> This Babbling will take us to hell –

>> 2 Tim 2:16 – vain babbling

>> 1 Cor 5:11 – Even if your brother is a reviler (stay away from him)

>> 1 Cor 6:10 – Revilers (or those who talk too much will not inherit the kingdom of God)

 

Let our mouths be guided by the spirit of God.

>> In Romans – when you pray, the spirit of the Lord will give you words to pray

>> Acts 4:13 - Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled. And they realized that they had been with Jesus.

>> Mark 13:11 – Jesus said - But when they arrest you and deliver you up(when world becomes against you and you are alone standing for God), do not worry beforehand, or premeditate what you will speak. But whatever is given you in that hour, speak that; for it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit. (also in Mathew and Luke)

 

Verse 13 – Till now we thinking about our tongue, from this verse onwards our conduct – means our speaking and works (output) – what comes out of us – all our dealings – Is it like worldly people or how Lord expects from us – Is that change coming into us – How much more to change – Let us personally analyze.

 

Here in these verses – not talking about the wisdom and show of meekness – of this world – But about the wisdom and meekness of Jesus.

 

Verse 14 – The Holy spirit makes it very clear in this verse that – All bitter jealousy, Stubborn Rivalry (Strife, Fighting) and Lying (telling lies) are not from above – then surely from satan.

 

1Peter 3:9 – 13 - Not rendering evil for evil, ......................For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil...................For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous.....................And who is he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good?

 

Verse 15 – Yes it is worldly and satanic – earthly, sensual, demonic (from satan – he has a goal by putting this into our heart)

 

Verse 16 – Where this Bitter jealousy and  Stubborn fighting exist – there is

>> CONFUSION – not able to hear Lords counsel – not able to plan anything fruitful for the Lord.

>> and all EVIL THINGS – as we are then controlled by the devil we do all his evil things. When we are in that evil spirit – Satan even makes us think – Who is God – What is He going to do – Why to obey and respect Him – why to be so holy or dedicated – He is not so good to me.

 

>> And understand – all this hatred and fighting, confusion, blaspheming the name of the Lord and all evil things comes mainly out of our mouth –

(We saw that in this whole chapter) – out of the same fountain sweet and bitter wont come. This mouth is fixed there for the glory of the Lord.

>> If that God’s purpose is not happening – if you are not useful for God (but useful only for yourself) – then why should you live – (God might think) – why this life.

 

Verse 17 – But be filled with the wisdom of God – which is

>> First and the most important – PURE – divine and from God

>> Peaceful, Gentle, Willing to yield, Full of mercy, and Good fruits

>> Without partiality and full of hypocrisy (where hypocrisy is there – you will not be able to grow in the Lord)

 

Verse 18 – Those who make peace will get peace.

Just as Jesus says in Math 5:9 – Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God.

 

 

Again in verse 12 – about two types of fruits – worldly and heavenly. Only what we sow we will reap (what our effort and concentration is for – that we will get)

 

 

 

Chapter - 4

 

Verse 1 –  All these fightings come from within you – your stubbornness – to make your will done – which is finally for your benefit. (All wars arise because of man’s selfishness)

 

Verse 2 – After all these games, if the Lord ha called you with a heavenly calling – you will not get .

>> You lust but will not get

>> All these wicked games and fightings have become common among man, before it was only among gentiles, but now these fightings and even cases are now among them who call themselves believers.

 

Verse 3 – You ask through prayer…..but you do not get ……because you ask more (greedy and covetous) – not satisfied with how God leads you now.

>> God will not give you anything which is not God’s will, you have a thinking that if you pray without leaving him or by starving or crying – these games will not work with the creator – he will not give.

Then some people are getting – how – understand that even satan gives (as he gives abundance to gentiles) – satan tires to make your focus on GETTING and finally ruin your spiritual life and relationship with Jesus.

>> Don’t forget that prayer is a wonderful talking time with Jesus (where presence of the Lord came down on Sinai and when Jesus spoke to Father on the mount of Tranfiguration.

>> Heb 11:6 - But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

 

Verse 4 – If you make your prayer for your worldly matters – Lord calls you Adluterers (Horrible)

>> What you love (worldly or heavenly) is clearly portrayed in your prayers. If your prayers are aimed on the worldly matters, your health and wealth, then Lord will be your enemy.

>> It is Lord who weighs you – your mind setup – to get more or to obey and live with the Lord for ever. (set your eyes on the heavenly as it is written in Colossians).

>> 1 John 2:15 - Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

>> Rom 12:2 - And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of Go

>> John 15:18,19 - “If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you.        If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.

 

Verse 5 – He is possessive about me – because of my calling, because he cares for me. Even though there are hundreds of crores of people in this world, his love and care is to His faithful people – to His holy nation – a special treasure as it is said in 1 Peter. The more he loves – surely Lord is only concerned with my sanctification and growth of my inner man because it is for us that he is building this royal-royal palace where we will dwell with Jesus forever. His happiness is with His children

>> How should we be  - John 12:25,26 - He who loves his life will lose it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.

If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor

 

Verse 6 – this verse taken from Prov 3:34

>> If anyone is proud thinking that I am able to manage my things, I have strength, wisdom and resources. What is the importance of giving so much importance to the Bible, just live a moderate life as other Christians.

>> Lord calls you humble – you are able to cry and submit yourselves in the presence of the Lord and live as you feel like, without paying attention to what the spirit of the Lord is speaking to you these days – then the Lord calls you proud and arrogant.

>> But Lord gives GRACE to the humble (ready  to forsake anything what the Lord says and the readiness to obey. (MORE GRACE)

 

Verse 7 – Step one – Submit to God (obey completely), then resist the devil and he will flee from you.

>> With complete submission and obedience – if you try to resist the devil – you had it from him.

 

Verse 8 – Draw near to the Lord – keep on day by day, otherwise it for sure that you are going far from Him into the world.

>> In the parable of the Lost sheep – you will understand that this sheep went away from the shepherd looking into the green and wonderful things of the world and slowly went far from the master, it didn’t know immediately, finally it became completely lost.

>> Our loving God is giving us many chances, calling us back, sometimes beats us, blocks all our ways and revives us, still if we don’t correct ourselves and change our ways to His ways – then he leaves us and we become completely lost, then no problems at all, everything is fine because satan is also very happy, he will give you all what you want in this world.

 

>> If you want to draw near to God – all sinners(disobedient) and double minded ( I want world and Jesus) – cleanse yourselves and purify from the lust of the world – because it’s a sin which separates you from God.

 

Verse 9 – This double mindedness should be taken seriously. Lord says – If you are double minded – Then its good that you lament and weep for yourselves.

 

2 Peter 2:20 - For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning.

Luke 11:23-26 - He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters. “When an unclean spirit goes out of a man, he goes through dry places, seeking rest; and finding none, he says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came.’And when he comes, he finds it swept and put in order.

Then he goes and takes with him seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter and dwell there; and the last state of that man is worse than the first.”

 

***If you are not serious about your disobediences and lack of sanctification, and you are enjoying the world in full swing - then Lord says – your laughter will be turned into crying and your joy into heaviness(great tension)

 

Verse 10 – If we think that we know how to live and do good, Lord is reminding here that you cannot – without being constantly connected to the wine, the branches can do nothing on their own,

So Lord is reminding – Humble yourselves in the sight of God (whom no one can cheat) then Lord will lift you up.

>> Lifted up – when you are in shame and in sorrow, your head will be down. But now when all your shame and pain is taken away by Jesus, your head will be lifted up, the world will know that God has acknowledged you as faithful and has honored you.

>> Ish 61:7 - Instead of your shame you shall have double honor, And instead of confusion they shall rejoice in their portion. Therefore in their land they shall possess double; Everlasting joy shall be theirs.

**Here its not only about worldly wealth, but about you health, mind, wisdom, knowledge, your family and all areas of your life.

 

You want your bodies to be lifted up – means your life in this world – the standard of living to come up, but Lord wants your head to be lifted up, otherwise you will only be seeing the things of the world --

>> Luke 21:28 - Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near.”

 

Verse 11 – You have no authority to judge (blame) your brother

or change God’s laws for your convenience.

>> Concerning you and your brethren – never speak evil about them.

>> or blame them (you can correct them but not blame them)

>> Math 7:1-5 – first remove the plank in your eyes, then remove the speck in others eyes

 

>> Never speak anything against Gods law  - don’t try to be a Judge – just obey it

>> Don’t try to make rules – the rule maker and the Judge is Jesus

>> Don’t try to take the seat of Jesus the righteous Judge (It is Lucipher’s job)

 

Verse 12 – There is only one lawgiver – Fear him

>> That is what today people don’t have – now believers don’t have the fear of God.

>> Math 10:28 - And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

 

Verse 13 – Here for comparison Lord has taken the life of a very wise and successful merchant, its ok you made a lot in this world and doubled your wealth.

 

Verse 14 – Your forget to understand this is the same game satan has been using to cheat Lords children for centuries, now as you stand before God

>> Even through prayer this is what comes out of your mouth through prayer, ***Lord is asking – Have you eaten that fruit which I told you not to eat. When your heavenly glory is gone – Lord knows you have eaten the forbidden fruit. You cannt serve both God and mammon (wealth) – only any one.

 

Verse 15 – What you should say is – If the Lord wills I will do otherwise how much great it is in world – it is garbage for me – because my Lord says No.

 

Verse 16 – But this is not what people are saying today – there are boasting – Even if the Lord likes it or not – it is giving me great joy – Even if the Lord doesn’t help – things are running here smoothly – because I have money power.

Then to please the Lord – we try to give a share to the Lord which we made in our own way – which the Lord didn’t allow.

>> Lord says – all this rejoicing is evil

 

Man has nothing to boast about –

Ps 39:5 - ​​Certainly every man at his best state is but vapor (vanity - kjv)

 

Verse 17 – You know what God wants from you – but still you are not doing it – then great sin and no excuse

>> John 9:41 - Jesus said to them, “If you were blind, you would have no sin: but now you say, ‘We see’. Therefore your sin remains”.

>> John 15:22 -  “If I had not come and spoken to them, they would have no sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin”.

>> Ezek 33:31,32 – His word is like a lovely (comforting)song, they hear it but they do not do it.

 

 

Chapter - 5

 

Verse 1 – This is something which always weakens the churches and their spiritual life.

 >> Cry out loud for the miseries God is going to allow in your life

 

Verses 2 &  3 –

 

Math 6:19-21 -“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal;

but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

 

We see in the Bible that Jesus is making it very clear through many parables. In the parable of the rich man and lazerus (the judgment which no man can escape). Both were jews, called as children of God, but the rich man’s focus was only to increase his riches and be respected in this world, the love of this world is enmity to God, the hand of the Lord will be against you, the love of the Father will not be in you

 

Then an other parable in Luke 12 – Parable of rich man who wanted to build a big store house for generation – God called him a fool – As we read this chapter we will understand what God hates in riches. – Luke 12: 16-23,  29-32,  34-38,  42-48

 

>> Covetousness – which is idolatry (worshipping or giving importance to money) – will not inherit the kingdom of God (written in Ephesians, Colossians and Hebrews)

 

>> 1 Tim 6:10 - For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

 

 

Verse 4 – All the evil which happens in our life to earn more money is recorded in heaven, and for it we will be getting the needed punishments.

 

 

Verse 5 – That’s why we see a prayer in the bible –

Prov 30:7-9 – Two things I request of You

Remove falsehood and lies far from me; Give me neither poverty nor riches— Feed me with the food allotted to me;

Lest I be full and deny You, And say, “Who is the LORD?” Or lest I be poor and steal, And profane the name of my God.

 

>> Even through prayer if we pray for your own pleasures - James 4:3 – you will not receive anything from heaven.

 

>> God will not promote selfishness – let the same mind of Jesus be in you – selfish people are useless to God – then why take them to heaven – they are only bothered about their safety, goodness and happiness – they don’t want to work for God. Heaven is for the faithful servants (male or female).

In the end time this selfishness will increase and work in all, but let it not affect us.

 

Verse 6 – You blame and oppose the just and favor the rich. You are against the just, because there is no majority there with him and there is no benefit in supporting him. Even if you oppose the just, he will not fight back or resist you.

 

When the rich do wrong – everyone keeps quiet.        

 

Verse 7 – Riches are things we think will give us worldly happiness, but we forget it that it will not last and while we run after it, we lose our relationship with God and our eternal life.

>> But the promises of God are eternal which lasts for ever and when God(the king) is happy with our life, we will not lack anything.

**David says – Ps 119:72 - The law of thy mouth is better to me than thousands of coins of gold and silver.

 

>> When the world is after money which perishes, we are waiting for our rewards which we will get it at Lords time (not our time) – but it will be much beyond our imagination.

And when the Lord come, all the others will be left behind, but those who wait upon the Lord will be received to Heaven.

 

>> Just like a farmer, we have to be patient a little more to receive Lords rewards. No farmer got plants seeds will immediate get their fruit. (Eg: If you say that you want a jackfruit the next day you plant a seed)

**Heb 6:11,12 - And we desire that each one of you show the same diligence to the full assurance of hope until the end,

that you do not become sluggish (lazy), but imitate those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

 

Verse 8 – So we have to be patient – Establish your heart(on the promises of God), in front of whole world – the day of our honor is coming very soon because His coming is at hand.

 

Verse 9 – While you wait – don’t grumble (satan will tell many things in our ears), satan will never allow us to patiently wait, he will always try to move us away from the plan of God (so instead of honor an rewards – judgments and curse from God – like how he cheated Adam and Eve).

** While we patiently wait for God’s time and look upon God’s face, satan will make us look at other people – their wicked ways of prospering – they call it wise but Lord calls them FOOLS,

If the Lord doesn’t build the house – all the builder’s effort is in vain – Big loss

 

Verses 10 & 11 – About all prophets – their affliction and patience

(Rom 5:3,4 - but we also glory in tribulations - knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope.

 

>> And about Job – we all have heard it and we know it from the Bible.

>> In verse 9 it says – Do not grumble at one another

Job felt like grumbling many times in his life – But in the Bible it is written - Job did not sin with his mouth or talk against God – or ask why is this happening in my life – what mistake did I do.

>> Verse 11 – about the perseverance of Job

>> To teach him the lesson God wanted to teach, Till now he only heard about God (Job 42:5) but now he sees and experience a close relationship with God.

 

Verse 12 – Swear not

Let your Yes be Yes (all decisions in God) and No means No

>> We should learn to say Yes to Lord and No to devil and his tricks – otherwise punishment

 

Verse 13 – Different experiences God allows us to God through – when we go through suffering – let us humble ourselves – bow down before God and pray(talk to God), when we are cheerful – lest us sing songs aloud and glorify the Lord – In both cases – Be close to the Lord.

>> This is God’s prescription for all those who go through affliction and sicknesses

 

Verse 14 – If a person who goes sickness – let him trust in God – call the elders of the church (not only the Pastor – but all those who are given that authority by God can pray for the sick)

 

Verse 15 – If those who pray (should have faith and an experience themselves), then healing.

 

Verse 16 – In prayer – there should be a sanctification, as this is not by magic or shouting, but by the effective power of God that works in me – so we should be more holy, for the work of the Lord to work in our life.

>> That sanctification part is very hard for people, so they say – I don’t want that (sour grapes – like that fox in the story)

 

Then there should be concentration (fervent), as well as faith and confidence so that the work of God will be effective.

 

Verse 17 &18 – Don’t think it is impossible

Example : Elijah was a man like us –

>> subject to all worldly passions like us – but because he overcame it

And because of his earnest prayer and faithfulness before God, but as he commanded King Ahab (1 Kings 17:1)– God stopped rain for 3.5 years

 

Joshua stopped sun and moon – Joshua 10:12,13 - Then Joshua spoke to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel: “Sun, stand still over Gibeon; And Moon, in the Valley of Aijalon.”

So the sun stood still, And the moon stopped, Till the people had revenge Upon their enemies. Is this not written in the Book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and did not hasten to go down for about a whole day.

 

Paul fought a good fight – 2 Tim 4:7,8 - I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.

 

Verses 19 & 20 – First we need to stand faithful for God and then need to make others also faithful (make them turn back from their back sliding into the love of the world)

Our job - we need to do for God – to turn people from wrong to right – to save them from eternal destruction

 

Blessed is the servant who when Master come will find him doing so